Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Post Eighty-Eight: Skinny Jeans.



What a sickness it is, when society allows a young girl to feel disgusted in herself because she has shape and form. I have seen what is left of a body after an eating disorder has wretched the young soul from it's bones. It's a breathtaking sight, and one that has literally knocked me backwards with shock.

You can't close a dead anorexic persons eyes easily, because the skin over the skull is so tight that there is not enough eyelid to cover the eye. And the lips are also pulled so tight and the teeth so overwhelming that the mouth is hard to close without making things look goofy. It's so sad, that the deceased can't even look at peace when the pain has gone.

The desire to be thin is overwhelming, and the skinny culture permeates even the most self-actualised young women. Damn you hollywood and all your assness! Stop preying on young maliable minds. And grown ups, push the glossy shit away!

Eating disorders break my heart.

Peace. x

7 comments:

  1. It's not just the young girls, it's their mothers and grandmothers who are also trying to be the perfect size. I work in a hotel and some of our regular female customers have diet food delivered or choose only to eat salad for dinner.....it's insane they have beautiful bodies and they're not overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reality check from you. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THIS should be passed onto the magazines that the teens read - as well as the young women. A reality check to show what happens when 'dying to be thin' does become just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post - Great pic. I'm your latest follower (all the way from the middle east).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got none of that from my family. My grandmother and mother were never dieting, they just ate, healthy or not.
    But I learned early on in school that to different than the other children, especially to be different from the popular children, carried a harsh punishment. My family taught me that I am amazing no matter what, television taught me that those weren't real women, and that I should look to the people around me for roll models. To the smart, amazing friends and family I had.
    But school is insidious. After a while i didn't have friends, they're all learned to dress and act so the popular kids would like them. I couldn't fit in so easily. I could wear their clothes, but I was still weird. So they tormented me, left me with emotional scars that aren't healed decades later, left me living in self hatred.

    I'll say here as I've said other places in the past; Peer pressure is an often overlooked danger, even if we struggle to give good role models to our kids, and we monitor what they see, that pressure to conform will be there. Bullying takes a lot of forms....

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I'm glad my skin condition has given me is perspective about being happy in my own body, despite not conforming to magazine ideals.
    Great insight.

    ReplyDelete