Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Post One Hundred and Thirty Eight: Mortuary Music Month



August is Mortuary Music Month. This will be AH-MAZING!

The stereo is my best buddy. Music seems to make any level of grossness attackable. As such, I use and abuse the boom box to entice me through the grime until I can hang up my boots. The worse the post-mortal prep, the more gentle the music. Well, either gentle acoustic or ridiculous rap. Early rap takes the sting out of stench too.

Rap is great on a friday. Country is great on a monday. Banjo is good if you need to stitch a person up. Jazz is good when you're doing hair and make up. Ska is good at the start of the day. 90's alt. rock is always, always good.

Mortuary Music Month is an initiative that I've thought up to quell a radio war. Sharing a workspace means that you have to be considerate of others, and unfortunately in my case this means that my co-worker prefers commercial radio and I have to play nice. It kills me. It honestly does. (Not the being nice part, but the dumbass radio personalities speaking stupidities and brain numbing advertising campaigns that are repeated ad nauseum).

August 1st is going to kick off with Mariah Carey day. That's right. Emotions, Music box, Daydream...all day all MC. I'm so excited, I might vomit glitter. The month will consist of one artist or band a day. Eight full hours of career gold. It'll give mortuary staff a reason to get up in the morning other than to make the dead look handsome.

We can't not do Michael Jackson. The Beatles. Hank Williams, Billie Holiday, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin. Janis Joplin, Cream, The Velvet Undergound and Simon and Garfunkel. I DO like the old stuff better than the new stuff, but this month won't discriminate. I'm working on the rest, but there's going to be plenty of gloriously shit pop a.k.a Britney. Plenty of Aussie rock.

There's so much more to a mortuary than bleach and blood. Blame it on the boogie.

Peace. x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I just wanted to say how much I love your blog. You write so beautifully about such a difficult topic. As a writing nurse, I so appreciate what you do in here. I love your outlook and you always put a bright spot in my day whenever I come and visit and I thank you for that.
    Cheers,

    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Just wondering how the Mortuary Month is going? I know what you mean about music, we don't have many options here and i have to admit I like to be able to sing along to what I'm listening too!

    Any who, hope it's going well and that you're successfully imparting much music on to others!

    Cheers
    H

    ReplyDelete